- Approach your manager and start a conversation with care and attention to them. Do not try to convince or persuade them making them believe you're an expert and should be trusted and given some freedom. Don't do it.
- Find out where your boss sees your value and support. Ask them directly, say, “Hey, what can I do to be of maximum service to you?”
- Listen carefully and ask questions if anything's unclear. Discuss the topics not to make your point but to really understand why and what the boss needs you for.
- Evaluate whether you are able to support this work, and if not, then aim to understand what is needed to make you able to.
- Decide if you want to do what your manager is expecting you to be doing. If it's ok with you, keep going. If not, make a pause to think and find another suitable position.
There is no need to re-educate a person. Your mission is to help the part of the business that is entrusted to you. And if you can't help there, help somewhere else.